Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Highway 61 Revisited

At the end of August, I made the trip up to Northern Michigan to dive into a new area of interest. I’m attending a Concrete tech program where I’m studying a materials science. The approved title is "Concrete Technology," but I think that had something to do with the instruction of the contributing companies. It has a lot of aspects of geology, chemistry/physics, and engineering enveloped into one. For instance this semester I have courses over aggregates, cementitious materials, trigonometry, and computer science. I'm learning about different compounds and materials, and how they work together. I also find their potentials. It's mostly applied to the Concrete industry field, but there is MUCH more that can be done with it. 95% percent of students that go through the program take the "engineering" path and apply it to construction and things of that sort. I'm much more interested in the chemistry and geology and hopefully applying it to a type of energy conservation/earth study. That would be great.

Classes are going pretty well so far, I’m taking 17 hours with 2 additional labs. It’s quite a load, but I’m really trying to hit this thing head on. I spend most of my time in the library doing research and writing up lab reports.

I’ve yet to meet anyone up here. But I’m also not that worried about it. I have a really wonderful schedule going: waking at daybreak with Papi, and retiring around ten. The weather has been perfect for walking to school and running for exercise. I began reading my second Ron Rash novel titled One foot in Eden. I read World Made Straight a few months ago and really made me love Ron Rash. I’ve also been listening to a lot of Duane Allman and Tinariwen. I’m listening to T.I. when I’m running.

As excited as I am about this program, I feel really eager to get back to Texas. I’m sure y’all know how much of a proud Texican I am, and I don’t need to go into detail. Of course, I miss my friends and my family.

If anyone is interested in writing me, I’d love to strike up correspondence with you. My address is:

207 Tuttle St. /Alpena, MI /49707
And to the few of you that read this, I’ll be updating very often so holla back.

Paz.

No comments: